Sunday, October 28, 2007

Ratings System

I've adopted the popular five star system primarily because of the specificity it offers over the four star system (you'd to try both to understand), but I've never really thought through what those stars mean.

I was looking at one of my favorite sites, Filmspotting.net, and they seemed to say it best. So, instead of trying to put what they said in my own words to show unique meaning and failing, I'm going to quote 'em.

"Ratings systems serve a purpose. They're a shortcut. A provocation. Symbolic advertising for critical writing." "(I) feel that assigning a rating to a film can over-simplify (my) perspective. That being said, your time is valuable. And (I) appreciate your curiosity. Below, the (Films Through A Fishbowl) ratings, on a 5-star scale.


Loved it *****
Really liked it ****
Liked it ***
Didn't like it **
Hated it *
"

I hope that didn't come off as utterly without original feeling because I do echo those feelings. Stars are a quick reference point. Hopefully, they spark interest in the entirety of reviews. But I want the audience to realize that I am not saying that I think Dan in Real Life is as a good of a film as Days of Heaven, because I don't. What the stars are meant to be is a record of my reaction to each film.

I know it seems strange to make such a big thing out of the number of stars, but it's just a idiosyncrasy unique to reviewers that I cannot really explain. It matters to me.

No comments: