Monday, March 17, 2008

No Country for Old Men



No Old Country for Old Men is a brand new example of deserved critical hype. It's a damn good movie. It too is cynical about violence, about men, about the state of the world and the wages of sin. Evil takes a licking and keeps on ticking. And how often do we hear about awful things happening and think "what is this world coming to?" The answer is "no country for old men". Although, I guess this world's been effed up for as long as it's been turning, eh?

But as long as there's Tommy Lee Jones riding horses through my deserts, I'll feel alright about the mysterious, twisted, hell-bent Anton Chigurh's (a great performance deserving of awards by Javier Bardem).

But the kings are Coens. Two brothers still making interesting, entertaining, dark, oddly funny, and challenging movies after all these years.

It didn't move me as much as other films from 07 did, but I can only name a few that were better executed. And F.Y.I. - one of the best film adaptations of a book I can personally remember.

****

No comments: