Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Golden Compass



I have to say that all the conscience stretching I did before watching this movie didn't lead to much. Evangelicals hopping on the Pat Robertson/James Dobson information train should know that all the God killing that may be in the source material is watered down to a vague magical tale about helping your friends and making your own decisions. Sure, all the novel backstory that I became aware of during the months leading up to the film's release let me on to more of what was happening than any nonsuspecting audience member could catch. Honestly, I just enjoyed myself. It's a fully realized fantasy world with action, magic, and all the special effects the now defunct Newline could buy. It's a rousing piece of entertainment. My only real complaint is that the film lacks the character development that would have made this film a genre classic. There are dozens of characters that only get minor introduction in this first film of a desired trilogy, and it would have been nice to see how they fit into the heroine's destiny. Plot seems to trump character.

***1/2

No comments: