Friday, May 18, 2007

Reign Over Me



Well, it's pretty good. It falters after a court scene.

Sandler doesn't really receive much love (financially) from his usually supportive fans, but he has some real chops (please, please, please check out Punch Drunk Love). He uses a little kid voice in Reign Over Me, which can be annoying, especially in a emotional scene at a therapist's office. But his interactions with the other lead, Don Cheadle, are good. The two play well off each other. Cheadle doesn't have the showy role, that's left to Sandler. But I appreciate Cheadle's performance more because it's more nuanced, less of a one step dance.

The film had me in its corner most of the way through, but lost me in that court room scene. All the contrivances that could be included were included. The scenes that followed mostly rang false, but the positive experience I had prior to that turning point still earns a recommendation from me.

One of the things I really loved about the movie (prior to the court scene) was how everybody wanted to fix Sandler's troubled character. He had an obvious problem that needed addressing, but the film really nailed how difficult it can be for a person to change (then it blows it after the court scene). The frustration and concern of loved ones felt real.

Damn that court scene.

*** (I struggle with this rating because it's better than 28 Weeks Later, but worse than Barcelona, but I'm not going to go as far as to give it a **3/4 rating. That's a bit picky.)

No comments: