Friday, September 14, 2007

Sunshine Poems



SUNSHINE (PINBACKER AND I) by A. Gates

I see the red and the black
Loose skin and bulging eyes
Menace and intent forcing fear
I am sad.
I am breathing hard and fast.
I am scared I can't do this right.
If he comes, but Capa goes,
Will I die alone?
I see his face,
And I fear
Not for my own sake
But for my loves'.
So dive.
So plunge.
Let the sum of life accept my sacrifice.




SUNSHINE (THE ABSENCE OF NOTHING) by A. Gates

I think I owe this sun my life.
I want to give all I have.
I will stare into the light
And let the blindness burn me clean.
Enveloped like a wildfire.
Sheer force of nature,
But greater than all I have ever known.
To feel the warmth,
To see the light,
To engage everything in the pit of space,
Emptiness filling,
I will take it in, and I swear
I will give up.




SUNSHINE (TREY IN THE CORNER) by A. Gates

I did this.
I am the one to blame.
I can see it in their eyes
When I shake and spit,
Tremors and tension rubbing my bones.
The drugs are swift,
They swallow me whole.
I feel nothing but shame,
And it burns.
It turns my stomach over.
Guilt is sobering.
And this blade will free me.
This blood will end this sensation.
My own action a motion I owe.




SUNSHINE (IN ITS SHADOW) by A. Gates

I am bitter.
It is cold.
I am beginning to regret -
I regret my time away from home.
I can feel myself stopping,
Struggling but slowing down,
Panic a cold wash,
Crisp sounds as I squirm to go in.
My mouth is open and sticking to it.
My skin is blue, but I can't see it.
The color it goes when you go.
I feel it as I go numb.
Odd how that can be.
The irony does not escape me.
The last thing I see is the frost on my eyes.




SUNSHINE (GREEN AS GIVEN AND TAKEN AWAY) by A. Gates

I gasped.
This one small life in all this black, burned soot and soil.
Too much to take in,
But I tried.
I knelt down and reached out a hand.
Felt my back split and blood peak.
I heard his voice preach to me.
I gasped again.
This death admist all this black, burned soot and soil.
I wanted to cry,
My mouth stretched to curse his name,
But a hollow sound was the only thing that escaped me.
A shallow breath.
I died with my eyes wide open,
Calm over my face,
Grasping that life as I so longed to alive.

No comments: