Monday, November 5, 2007

The Painted Veil



I don't get too into traditional love stories told in periods I can hardly relate to, but the one presented in The Painted Veil was certainly engaging enough to warrant my attention and admiration. I enjoyed the performances and the refreshingly slow way the romance developed even as I knew all the while that it would. China makes a great backdrop for this piece of historical romance.

The clash of cultures was one of the more interesting issues in the film. China was understandably resistant to Britain's presence in their culture even when some of the English were trying to save them.

Some beautiful things about romance and relationships were said, especially about the expectations we have of others.

I think I am able to see now that I am in awe of Naomi Watts' beauty rather than her acting talent, but neither is in question.

Even though I haven't seen too many films like this, I was able to predict its moves at almost every turn.

***1/2

No comments: