Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Crying Game



I recently caught up with one of the more buzzed about films of the 1990's. The film is notorious for it's twist. I had long ago had the twist ruined for me in a magazine article or two, but I had always misinterpreted the twist as an ending. In truth, it happens midway through the film. Although it does change the direction of the film, I found it to be quite interesting despite my prior knowledge.

The real discovery for me was the talent of Stephen Rea, which I am apparently the last film fan to know about. He is the soul and center of the Crying Game, and although Jaye Davidson's performance is the one most remembered, it was Rea's portrayal of a disillusioned IRA man that still sticks with me. Obviously, considering the political climate and history of Ireland, a disillusioned IRA man is rife with complexities and conflicts. When he seeks out the girlfriend of a recently deceased political hostage, the story stretches beyond any conventional narrative I could have expected.

The film is not without flaws. Much of the film's believability lies in Davidson's performance. It's a performance reeking of inauthenticity from the first time performer. I was bothered by it, but any number of viewers could easily attribute that the the inherent and necessary inauthenticity of the character.

It's an unconventional non-love romance set against the backdrop of political unrest. It's exciting because it's utterly unpredictable. I've never seen a story like this before, nor have I since.

The DVD offers an insightful documentary about the making of the film, and shows that this unexpected hit was truly a labor of love.

***1/2

No comments: