Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button



I'm gonna borrow a bit (or completely) from the Fishbowl Facebook thread postings for this one (so wonderfully out of context now):

The lightning guy is my biggest complaint with the movie. And I'm not above pointing out its faults. It can be a tad simplistic for such an extraordinary premise. I keep hearing the fact that it's a kin to Forrest Gump - same screenwriter - in its tone, and I wouldn't disagree, to its fault. But there is something special about the execution of this movie.

Honestly, it's more than just the CGI that's dear to my heart. It features a great Brad Pitt performance (probably his best without comedic undetones, though an Oscar nom is a tad much for praise), and features some wonderful supporting performances (Jared Harris - see Igby Goes Down, Tilda Swinton - this is something new from her, and Taraj P. Henson).

But maybe my admiration is that they pulled it off. They told a story about a man who ages backwards and made me believe it (as much as a dramatic fantasy of this nature can). I won't be mad if it wins Best Picture or director, though it's not my first choice. And about Benjamin's promiscuity...I didn't see it as a detraction from the story or his life. It's obvious that the guy had a lot to learn about love and went about it in wrong ways, but that helps the real love, the big love that he finds with Daisy mean so much.

I could have done without the old Daisy/Hospital/present storyline. It didn't add depth for me. It really only serves as reason for Benjamin to tell his own story.

I really do think that we'll still be talking about TCCOBB in 20 or so years if only to complain about the which and how many nominations it got in 2009. I will look back more fondly. I'll also say that it has a lot more to say (nicely) about life, death, and love than Synecdoche, New York.


****


::SPOILER::

It should have ended with baby Ben.

::END SPOILER::

No comments: