Sunday, January 25, 2009

Defiance



I had mixed expectations for the film. The first trailer was intriguing, but I didn't know what to expect. I was further confused by the mixed reviews from film critics. I enjoyed it. I was captivated. I was eager to discover how this historical movie would end as though waiting for a M. Night twist.

The Entertainment Weekly review said a lot of things right. The truth is, I was more of a fan than an objective observer by the end. I was swept up - with the story, the performances, the time - to the point where even the most obvious of detractions began to blur into admiration. Chief among them, an ending battle with a Hollywood-like surprise that isn't surprising at all. Though, as I was saying, I was so invested in the characters that I was immensely happy and couldn't have cared less if the turn of events was from history or a Hollywood screenwriter's studio notes. The movie is satisfying, harrowing, exciting, sad, beautiful, bleak, and wonderful. You owe yourself the gift of sitting through it.

It's not perfect. Even through blurry admiration, I can see it's flaws. But it's a well above average, underrated film that deserves some attention if for no other reason than to offer D. Craig some love for work other than 007. There are Hollywood conventions that are endearing but annoying if you don't look at the characters rather than their words. There are two intellectuals who become friends in the forest camp of the hiding jews. Their conversations serve merely as way to speak of the world at large, to be more important. But the characters, their place in the camp, the actors' performances are vital. Obviously, though the film is Craig's showcase, his work with the two actors playing his brothers is the heart of the film. I've been a fan of Liev Shreiber's for a good while, but this is his meatiest role yet. He doesn't disappoint even when his interactions seem contrived and scripted. He elevates the story. I've heard oodles about Jamie Bell for years and never really got the hype, but I'm starting to catch on. His performance as the second-youngest of four brothers is special without being awkwardly so. Strong supporting work.

I'm not being true to myself, even with all it's flaws, if I didn't whole heartily urge you to see it. And if you want to see an all around GREAT, similarly themed film see The Wind that Shakes the Barley.

***1/2

No comments: