Friday, March 2, 2007

Children of Men (2nd Viewing)

I saw Children of Men again last night. It is amazing. I didn't have the same intense theater going experience as I did the first time, largely in pary to the fact that I knew the plot from beginning to end. However, I still cared deeply for the characters and their plight. This time out, I marveled more at the cinematography and the vision of chaos the film portrays. There is a scene where a single shot is used for 5 - 10 minutes (maybe more). Blood splatters a bit on the camera and it is part of the audience's view for much of the single shot. I wondered the first time what was meant by this. Why would the director choose to break the reality of the film in favor of the blood. My conclusion upon seeing it the second time is the single shot was so good on that take, so good the minutes before the blood splatter, that the director kept rolling and let the actors continue with their action. The weird thing is that the blood disappears from the camera view three or four minutes after it is splattered. I expect they did this with CGI because wiping the blood away would ruin the shot. That makes me wonder if the blood was CGI'ed onto the camera in the first place. If so, that puts me back at square one of my investigation. Again, great movie.

No comments: