Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Further Thinking on A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints

I previously wrote, "At first, when I didn't like it, I likened the film's attempt at realism to be a kin to David Gordon Green's films, although his films are set in forgotten burgs and southern podunks (and are great whereas AGTRYS is merely good)."

Now I see that the comparison is not fair to either filmmaker. I don't believe either filmmaker wants to make the same movie. Dito Montiel is no David Gordon Green and to expect him to be is unfair. I guess what I was getting at is how each director seems to value naturalistic acting, warts and all. Moments seem to flow out of boredom and laziness in the best way (really). Each filmmaker uses his own style to capture their films' moments. Green uses clean camera work and basic shot setups, while Montiel goes for the flashy shaky handheld shots. I prefer Green's style, but the setting and nature of Montiel's story lended itself more to the style he used. Again, Green equals great. Montiel equals good. Green does not equal Montiel.

No comments: