Monday, December 3, 2007

Superbad



I laughed my ass off in the theater more so than any other movie for the longest time (probably since Little Miss Sunshine). I couldn't defend its morality in a church, but it certainly is an interesting bit of pop culture in that it reflects what media thinks 18 year old high schoolers are like. I wonder how far along the feedback loop Superbad is...

I thought that all the B-story scenes with McLovin and the two cops were comedic gold and served to keep me involved and chuckling through any lulls in the main narrative.

I think it's interesting that I could be nostalgic for a high school life unlike anything I've experience personally. I was able to look at the characters from a distance and while grinning say, "Those crazy kids. What will they think of next?"

It's also the best display of male/platonic love in a long time. At the end of Stand By Me, Richard Dreyfus writes on his ancient computer, "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?" I think the same can be said for high school friends. I never really thought about it, but my friends during these strange social growth periods (elementary school, high school, college) in part define those periods.

****

No comments: