Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead


I enjoyed the acting. It's the best I've ever seen Hawke or Hoffman (save for Capote), though they do slide a bit into act-ting mode at times. I'll chalk up to bravado. As for the story, it offers little surprises but has drama in spades. It's hard to see flawed people do awful things and try to make amends for these awful things with more awful deeds (it hurts to watch sometimes), but I felt for them. By the time the film reaches it's inevitable final note, I was emotionally drained - the film pours out itself, but offers no consolation for its audience. It's a difficult film that struggles to clean itself up after a messy third act, but it's a acting hammer from the acting gods. A throw back to dour character dramas from sporadic history.

***1/2

No comments: