Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Descent



Good Golly, Miss Molly! What a fright. I watched this in the dark with the shallow, heavy breathing of my aging canine in the background. I was pleased with most everything here. Good characters and surprising development and staging for a horror film. I was constantly on edge. I cringed a lot. I enjoyed the film, but wonder what the film could have been with a better cast. Everyone does fine work, but a few knockout performances would have enhanced the atmopshere a bit. Great for a B-level horror flick, good for anything. Gore is involved - you've been warned. Also, kudos to the writer-director for writing a group of believable and interesting heroines into the genre. There were also countless times that I stopped to marvel at how awesome the camera work was. Tight, claustrophobic angles and locations abound.

Might be the scariest movie I've ever watched.

***1/2

No comments: