Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Fall


A ho-hum summer found a high-point (after Chicago trip) with The Fall. I was pleasantly surprised at how involved I was in the story. Its director, Tarsem, is indulgent and visually intelligent, but I felt a connection to his film's characters unlike my closest comparison - Pan's Labyrinth. While Pan's Labyrinth is superior is so many ways, my gut reaction to The Fall stands out. I had invested in the two leads (Lee Pace and Catinca Untaru) to the point where the spectacular visuals were secondary to their fates in the real world. Catinca in particular was wonderful. I haven't seen a child more natural on screen at that age in a long time. The chemistry between the leads carries the film even in the midst of all the razzle dazzle. And it does dazzle. Even when the dialogue in the story-within-the-story plays flat, the grand spectacle overcomes. The film offers some unsolved mysteries that fueled a confusing conversation on the long drive home, but only fuels my desire for another viewing.

****

No comments: