Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The King



I have to be honest, part of the reason I did not like The King was that the subject matter was too disturbing, even disgusting. I liked some stuff, like William Hurt's performance. I was disappointed with Gael Garcia Bernal's performance. I can grant him leniency because I think very few actors his age could play this role well. The story's real strength is in the questions it asks. They are difficult questions made all the more difficult by the plot's events. What can you forgive? When can you not? What the hell is going on in Elvis' (Bernal) mind?

Paul Dano is good in a small role. The best performance I think comes from Pell James as Hurt's daughter and Bernal's seducee. Where did this actress come from? Where has she been? I'm exaggerating a bit, but she really was the best part of the cast in a cast full of prominent performers. Her sweet, quiet nature ripe for ruining. She's so trusting and oddly rebellious. It's not odd how she rebels. It's more how innocent she still seems after all the drama.

**

No comments: