Saturday, February 17, 2007

Maria Full of Grace



I saw Maria Full of Grace with great expectations for the indie. I wasn't disappointed. Catalina Sandino Moreno was amazing. The film won't work if she won't work, but luckily for me, she does. She is a natural. It is one of the best performances by a leading lady that I have seen in a long time. She just inhabits the role. She lives in the skin of the character to the point where I can no longer see the actress, leaving only a life-like character dealing with extraordinary circumstances. I don't know anything about the drug trade or what mules go through other than their small roles in Law and Order and Traffic. But the portrayal of the life of a mule and the dangers and fears they face felt extremely real. Even when the face of Maria was quiet and steadfast in danger, I could sense her fear. It's the mark of a good film to get complexities across when surfaces are what you see. That isn't to say the emotional scenes do not reveal as much as the quiet ones. Each offer their own kind of intensity. Maria Full of Grace is a very intense movie for a drama. This is not a thriller or action movie. It is just a well made bare bones drama with a great lead performance.

****

No comments: