Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Science of Sleep



Imagination station. Michel Gondry's mind at work. The story is about a guy who mixes dreams with reality. It has been suggested that the whole film is a dream. I don't think so. I think it can be interpreted in different ways, you can choose to ignore certain clues and focus on others. But that doesn't really hinder from enjoying this little film. I love Gael Garcia Bernal in the movie, but I still find the character grating at times. It's hard to imagine a man being so childish (though that may play into the "movie's a dream" scenario. He's endearing in his own pathetic way. And I root for him. I think that's important in this kind of movie. He's in love with Charlotte Gainsbourg (lovely and amazing), but not able to "get the girl." But I root for him. I love her as much as he does, so I root. The visuals are amazing. The dreams are funny and whimsical to say the least. It's a good film each time you see it. I bought it and the only regret from doing so is that the making of doc revealed all the secrets to the magic of the film and took away my sweet ignorance to the people behind the scenes.

****

No comments: